From Erin Tripp, Business Development Manager at Duraspace:
I’m collecting anecdotes from people who have undertaken a migration or a major upgrade in the recent past. I hope to collect stories about how the project went, what resources were used or developed during the process, and whether it turned into an opportunity to update skills, re-engage stakeholders, normalize data, re-envision the service, etc.
The data will be used by DuraSpace and affiliate open source communities to develop resources that will fill gaps identified by participants. It will also be used in presentations, blog posts, or other communications that will highlight what we can learn from each other to make migration and upgrade projects a more positive experience in the future.
The data collection will be done through mediated surveys (interview-style) with me (in person, on the phone, or via Skype). Please express your interest in participating by emailing me at email@example.com. Or, if you prefer, you can also fill out the survey online by yourself. The survey will close on Tuesday, October 17, 2017.
Please note: interviewee names are collected for administrative purposes only and will not appear in any published work unless the permission of the interviewee has been obtained in writing.
Here are the survey questions (* denotes a mandatory response):
- What repository software(s) have you migrated from?*
- What repository software(s) have you migrated to?*
- Is/are your repository(ies) customized?*
- If yes, can you tell us how?
- When did you last undertake a major migration/update?
- Did customization impact your migration/upgrade?*
- If yes, tell us how.
- What were the most significant challenges of the migration/ upgrade process?*
- Can you elaborate the challenges faced?
- What were the most significant benefits of the migration/ upgrade process?*
- Can you elaborate on the benefits?
- Where there tools or resources that helped you during the process?
- What element(s) of the project surprised you?
- What do you wish you knew when you started the project? *
- What advice would you offer to others who are planning a migration/ upgrade?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?